When I went sugar free nearly four years ago, one of the things I had to give up was our homemade banana bread, which called for about two cups of sugar (choke, gag, cough). But my wonderful mother created this recipe, and it’s splendid. No sugar, and it’s much quicker to prepare than my ‘normal’ recipe!
Banana Nut Bread ~ Gluten, Dairy & Sugar Free
- 2-3 mashed bananas (I generally blend this with a hand mixer until it’s pretty smooth)
- 1/2 Virgin Organic Coconut Oil (Or butter if dairy isn’t a problem– sometimes I use 1/4th cup Coconut oil and 1/4th cup butter), room temperature
- 1/2 tsp salt (Don’t forget this….please don’t forget it…believe me, I know!)
- 2 cups gluten free flour (I have used rice flour, buckwheat flour, and sorghum flour or a mix of the three)
- stevia to taste (I never measure stevia, but I use NuNaturals “NuStevia”, which is a powdered stevia extract, and just tap it into the batter until it tastes right– it takes very little, indeed!)
After blending these ingredients well, mix in
- 2-3 eggs
Blend the eggs in well, then add:
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2-1 cup nuts if desired (I use walnuts)
Pour into greased bread pan and bake at 350f for about 60 minutes (watch it carefully). Test with a toothpick, and when the pick comes out clean, take out your bread, cool for a few minutes, and enjoy! It will mould after a few days, but it rarely lasts that long. It also freezes very well– just wrap it in plastic wrap and tinfoil and throw it in your freezer!
this recipe was shared at Gluten Free Wednesdays (linky party)